In a hydroponic farming both grow bags and Dutch buckets have efficient ways of using it. They also have their own advantages and disadvantages, According to their features and your needs you can choose one to efficiently grow your plants. This article will help you to choose one for your needs in hydroponic farming.
Table of Contents
What are Grow bags?
Grow bags for plants are used to grow plants that have a shallow root such as tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants etc. Grow bags for plants are made of jute or plastic. Grow bags are light weight, cheap and easy moving container. They basically have water draining factor in the bag where excess water is drained from it. On the other side grow bags for gardening needs to be watered and maintained frequently. Changing the grow bags depends on the quality of the grow bag. Some of the grow bags for plants are biodegradable too.
What are Dutch buckets?
Dutch buckets basically use buckets for growing plants with a siphon elbow placed at the bottom for draining the water. Dutch bags are containers used to grow plants where one or more container is connected to a same irrigation and draining system. Dutch buckets are irrigation efficient gardening method. A single line irrigation system pumps the water into the connected containers and from a single line drainage system the water gets drained from the connected Dutch buckets. Vine plants are best grown in Dutch buckets and the nutrients are pumped from a single irrigation system.
Each of them has their own advantages and disadvantages. You will have to choose the right fit for your plants.
Pros and cons of grow bags
Grow bags – Pros
- Grow bags are a lightweight, sustainable and affordable option for those who have limited space or just want to grow a few plants.
- Grow bags are usually made of fabric which can be folded up and stored when not in use. This makes them perfect for people who live in apartments or don’t have the space for garden outside their home.
- The bags have natural draining system of excess water. Grow bags also come with drainage holes at the bottom which help prevent from overwatering your plants.
- Grow bags are not just a way to grow plants from seedlings. They have many other benefits, and one of them is that roots are healthier. It is also easier to control the amount of water and fertilizer that is given to the plant, which leads to healthier roots.
Grow bags – Cons
- Grow bags are used by many people to grow plants and vegetables. They are made of a special material that is designed to allow the plants to take in all the water they need without getting too wet. However, these grow bags can dry out quickly if you don’t water them often enough.
- The main problem with grow bags is that they are not durable as they may tear easily over long-term use. You can’t reuse or resell them because they will look old and shabby after one use.
- Grow bags are not made for cold nights as they do not store heat inside.
Pros and cons of Dutch bucket
Dutch bucket – Pros
- Dutch buckets are a type of irrigation system that is easy to set up and requires less space.
- Dutch buckets are closed loop system where the water gets re-circulated making them more sustainable by saving any water loss and also mess free for urban farmers.
- Any affected plant can be removed easily from the bucket; the plant is then removed from the bucket by pulling it up and out by its roots with a garden fork or other tool. Dutch buckets are durable and can be used to plant a variety of plants.
Dutch buckets – cons
- Diseases from one plant can easily spread to another in a Dutch bucket because they have a single irrigation system
- The water system can get blocked in a Dutch bucket and it might affect the irrigation method.
- The buckets and tank has to be cleaned frequently to prevent algae growth which increases maintenance time.
Similar variety of plants are grown in both grow bags and Dutch buckets such as tomato, eggplant, cucumber, squash, pepper etc.
With this information we hope you will get an idea to choose the best option between grow bags/Dutch buckets for your gardening or hydroponic farming journey. Are you looking to purchase high quality, durable & eco-friendly fabric grow bags, visit our shop today!